2022年1月9日日曜日

10 Years Since I Began Wearing Kimono

 ■10 Years Since I Began Wearing Kimono

It has been 10 years since I became a man who wears a kimono. At the government’s Cool Japan conference, when the discussions turned to fashion, it was mentioned to me, “Everyone just wears suits no matter what we say,” and it hit me, “Why not change this?” and it began my transformation away from the typical suit and bow tie. 


As a man who wears kimono, NHK asked me to appear in “Kimono Men.” I figured it would be full of Kabuki actors or masters of traditional Japanese arts like tea ceremonies and ikebana. “No,” they told me. “Those people tend to wear suits and such normally. When it comes to kimono, it’s always your name and Mayor Kadokawa of Kyoto that come up.”


My grandfather was Nishijin woodcarver, so I had long been familiar with kimono, but I only ever wore it on New Year’s Day. When I changed my mind, it became a daily occurrence. I only took kimono off to change into pajamas for bed. 


I bought lots of kimono, mostly used ones online. If you look around (older gentlemen selling off their things, etc.), you can find incredible items that you can’t believe you are really wearing for a fraction of the price. You could buy ten for the price of one suit. Actually I shouldn’t give you details. I don’t want the prices to go up!


One problem, though, is that because the threads are old, they sometimes tear here and there. Because I live in a modern way, I hang them up on doorknobs or coat hangers. Mending is required once a week, so at faculty meetings, I am always mending something. I was actually a top student in home economics way back in elementary school. At last it is useful! Many thanks to my teacher. 


On my feet, I wear boots. This elicits no reaction in Tokyo, but I heard some old guy in Kyoto grumble, “Doesn’t match.” Demanding, aren’t they, these sticklers for kimono rules? Until June, I wear an awase (lined kimono) and from June onward, a hitoe (unlined summer kimono), usually made of Oshima tsumugi weave, which is known as silk “omeshi,” though anyone calling it that isn’t wearing it anymore. Back in the old days, I think things were a lot more laidback. So why not just go for comfort?


Kimono is an unusual object in Japan these days, isn’t it? In Paris, London, or NY, wearing a kimono does not bring all that much attention, but instead blends into the traditional dress of other cultures from Africa, India, the Middle East and others. “Is there some event on today? Are you a tea master?” In Japan, such questions are always asked.


These days, if invited to Korea or China, however, it might be advised to avoid traditional Japanese clothing for the sake of one’s own safety. In that case, I won’t go. It’s a bit strange to say that it’s most acceptable in the West.


It can be a bother even in Japan. When walking around Kasumigaseki, a man wearing a kimono is prone to be stopped by the security and asked what he is doing there. A man in a haori and hakama provokes suspicion. When I go to the official residence for meetings and such, I always check the streets time and time again. Why shouldn’t our own traditional clothing be considered proper formal wear?


I am not doing anything remarkable here. I’m just wearing a kimono. I mostly eat Japanese food and drink Japanese food, but I’m not some aficionado of Japanese culture. No tea ceremony, no ikebana, no calligraphy, no poetry or dancing or shogi. 


Is there anything I can do? What about rakugo comedy? Do you want to become my disciple? For that, Tsukitei is the spot.  


0 コメント:

コメントを投稿