◆iU President Gachon:Mr.Nelson Yamaguchi
Born in Malaysia, Mr.Nelson Yamaguchi grew up in poverty before coming to Japan. After studying at Hokkaido University and Osaka University, he became an obstetrician and gynecologist. Today, he runs his own clinic.
His is truly an extraordinary story.
■Childhood Dream
"I grew up in a very poor family. My parents never had the opportunity to receive an education, and they couldn't even read or write. They had no choice but to work in physically demanding jobs
As a child, my dream was simply to graduate from high school. I also wanted to become an office worker. Watching my parents struggle made me realize how difficult life can be without an education."
■Why Japan?
"I came to Japan when I was eighteen.
As a child, I constantly saw unfamiliar words around me—Suzuki, Honda, Toyota, Toshiba. They weren't written in English, Chinese, or Malay. Curious, I asked my teacher what language they were.
'Japanese,' my teacher replied.
I was amazed that products from Japan were found all over the world. I imagined Japan to be a huge and wealthy country.
Later, when I looked at a map in junior high school, I was surprised to discover that Japan was actually a small island nation. I couldn't understand how such a small country had become one of the world's leading exporters. That question sparked my fascination with Japan.
Then I watched the television drama Oshin. I was deeply moved. I had never imagined Japan had once gone through such severe poverty. That only strengthened my admiration for the country.
After World War II, Japan was impoverished. Around the same time, Malaysia was still a British colony, enjoying access to Western technology and culture, while our abundant natural resources made us wealthier than Japan.
Yet within only thirty or forty years, Japan had overtaken Malaysia.
I found that incredible.
I wanted to become like the Japanese."
■Pursuing Medicine
"At first, I gave up on the idea of becoming a doctor.
I was attending Japanese language school while working part-time, and medical school seemed completely out of reach.
Still, I was fascinated by medicine, so I entered pharmacy school and became a licensed pharmacist.
But eventually I asked myself, 'Can I really abandon my dream of becoming a doctor?'
The regret grew stronger.
I knew that if I didn't challenge myself, I would regret it for the rest of my life.
So I applied to medical school.
Today, I practice obstetrics and gynecology in Osaka.
Originally, I thought becoming a doctor would simply be impossible. In Malaysia, studying medicine almost always required going abroad, something my family could never afford. That's why I had settled for the more realistic goal of becoming an office worker."
■Why I'm Glad I Came to Japan
"Obstetrics is an extremely demanding profession, but its challenges are often misunderstood.
I was particularly frustrated by the media's use of the phrase 'ambulances being turned away,' which unfairly suggested that hospitals simply refused patients.
To raise awareness, I even ran for the House of Councillors in Osaka. During my campaign speeches, I spoke passionately about the realities of emergency medical care.
Although I lost the election, my message reached the media.
Eventually, many news organizations stopped using the misleading phrase 'ambulances being turned away' and instead described the situation more accurately as 'hospitals unable to accept emergency patients.'
Something else remarkable happened.
One person who heard my speech was so inspired that they encouraged me to open my own clinic, offering me a location and financial support.
Japan is a country where, if you devote yourself wholeheartedly, your dreams really can come true.
That's why I named my clinic Kisaki Clinic—a place where hope can blossom."
■A Speech That Changed Someone's Life
"After one of my speeches, a man in his thirties came up and asked to shake my hand.
He told me that he had been living an ordinary salaryman's life without any dreams or ambitions.
Hearing how I had come to Japan without money, unable to speak Japanese, yet still managed to become a doctor and build my own clinic made him realize that he couldn't keep making excuses.
Those words meant a great deal to me."
■A Message to Students
"Have the courage to take risks.
Fail often.
Experience setbacks.
Japan is a materially wealthy country, and because life is comfortable, many people become afraid of failure. As a result, they never take the first step.
Failure is painful.
But failure becomes the foundation for your next stage of growth.
Without failure or setbacks, there is no change.
And without change, there is no growth."





0 コメント:
コメントを投稿